What is SPARC?

Basics

  • $96 Million infrastructure reinvestment program targeting three distinct Cultural Restoration Areas.
  • The largest reinvestment project in the history of the City of Alexandria. 
  • A full-scale effort at creating in-fill developments in Alexandria’s urban core.
  • 90% of SPARC will result in permanent and publicly-owned infrastructure with the remaining 10% allocated for soft incentives.
  • Includes roadway construction and expansion, streetscaping, housing developments and large-scale investments in parks and recreating assets. 
  • Aimed at “future-proofing” the City.

For Developers

  • New developments in SPARC CRAS may qualify for the construction of streets, parking, drainage, and any other portion of the development that is typically donated back to the City.
  • Planning, design, and feasibility costs.
  • 5 to 10 year property tax abatements, when applicable.
  • New market tax credits, when applicable.
  • State and Federal Historic Tax credits, when applicable
  • Hands-on assistance from City personnel and City planning and Engineering.

For Residents

  • New fire stations, improved recreation facilities and community centers.
  • Streetscaping that includes enhanced lighting, sidewalks, and landscaping.
  • New housing opportunities.
  • New retail opportunities.
  • Massive investments around the City Park complex, Masonic Drive, Bolton Avenue, MacArthur Drive.